Straddling Europe and Asia, the city of Istanbul is literally where east meets west. Its blended culture, fascinating history and superb foods are all testament to the city’s long history as a melting pot of the world. The city of contrasts, where ancient religious beliefs sit side by side with modern ways of living, is full of wonderful sights, smells and characters and visiting the city has to be on your to-do list when spending time in Europe. Istanbul has some stunning examples of Byzantine and Ottoman architecture and these are found across the city, as a constant reminder of the former height this city (then Constantinople) reached. Turkish cuisine is well known in Europe, and the Turkey’s largest has a great blend of these traditional recipes. There are lots of hotels in the city centre but to continue your Turkish integration consider taking private apartment rental. Wimdu have a wide range of accommodation in Istanbul which will allow you to live more like a local and set you to really feel the pulse of this major world city.
Choosing your accommodation: Apartments in Istanbul When picking accommodation in Istanbul weigh-up which of the city’s many districts suit you. Being close to the attractions is helpful, but apartments here will invariably cost a bit more. Those on the budget should consider a holiday apartment away from the immediate centre. Find an apartment near the metro system and you can find yourself in the thick of things in no time. There are benefits having accommodation away from the main tourist areas, on top of saving money you can expect to get a better view of real life in Istanbul, more local and authentic restaurants and shopping experiences and you might even uncover some hidden gems. Rent a holiday apartment in Istanbul with Wimdu and expect all the creature comforts form your everyday home, with over 500 accommodation options in the city you are sure to find you perfect rental by searching above.
Take in the sights Blessed with many attractions, monuments and breathtaking architecture, days out in Istanbul are a rewarding experience. Its best to be mindful of the sheer size of the city. Perhaps planning your days well, or breaking the city into day segments, will make sure you are not missing out on anything come the end of your stay. When leaving your apartment be sure to pack everything you will need for the day, as getting back could take a long time depending on how far you have ventured. One stop on your tour of Istanbul has to be the Blue Mosque – the largest and arguably most impressive religious site found in the city. Built during the reign of the Ottoman empire, the interior reflects the wealth of the times. It is important that you remember to dress appropriately if going inside any place of worship.
On the west side of the city you will find the imposing Galata Tower . Built in 1348, with the intention as a lookout post to spot fires, the tower was the tallest in the world when completed. Today the area that surrounds the tower is a popular place to relax alongside interested tourists and locals. Bars and restaurants here are particularly nice, and the tower itself even has a good café at the top, a perfect location to savour the view. Nowadays the area surrounding the tower is a popular hangout for both tourists and locals.
Set in beautiful gardens and displaying some fine Islamic relics, the Topkapi Palace should be on you to do list. You may have to face a queue on arrival but once inside you are greeted by some of the finest collections mosaics and stained glass windows in the world. Along with the Hagia Sofia, the palace is one of the city’s biggest attractions, drawing millions of people year. The Topkapi Palace is considered along with the Hagia Sofia to be Istanbul’s top tourist draws. The Hagia Sofia is one of the finest buildings you will find in Europe. The former Eastern Orthodox cathedral was transformed into a mosque, but now stands as a museum which represents both religions and the history of the building. Each religion has left its lasting impression on the building, some 30,000 gold tiles make the interior Both religions have left their mark on the place and the 30,000 gold tiles that make up the interior are amazing. The building is mind boggling especially once you have discovered that this was all made in the 8th century.
Top 50 Apartments in Istanbul
- Istanbul, TurkeyApartmentOffering a TV and a kitchen, this 110m² apartment has 3 bedrooms. It is located in European Side and has a balcony.10 guests / 3 bedrooms / 110 m²7 people are interested in this propertyfrom $143AUper night
- Istanbul, TurkeyApartmentOffering parking and a kitchen, this 140m² apartment has 3 bedrooms. It is located in European Side and has a balcony.14 guests / 3 bedrooms / 140 m²6 people are interested in this propertyfrom $143AUper night
- Istanbul, TurkeyApartmentAmenities such as a TV, a babycot and a dishwasher can be found at this City Center - Taksim apartment. It offers 1 bedroom and 70m² of space.3 guests / 1 bedroom / 70 m²19 people are interested in this propertyfrom $63AUper night
- Istanbul, TurkeyApartmentThis apartment, offering a TV, is located in City Center - Taksim . Also providing a kitchen and parking, the 1-bedroom property has 75m² of space.4 guests / 1 bedroom / 75 m²7 people are interested in this propertyfrom $98AUper night
- Istanbul, TurkeyApartmentThis apartment, offering a dishwasher, is located in City Center - Taksim . Also providing a kitchen and a TV, the 3-bedroom property has 110m² of space.6 guests / 3 bedrooms / 110 m²12 people are interested in this propertyfrom $190AUper night
- Istanbul, TurkeyApartmentThis apartment, offering a kitchen, is located in City Center - Taksim . Also providing Wi-Fi and parking, the 2-bedroom property has 65m² of space.7 guests / 2 bedrooms / 65 m²8 people are interested in this propertyfrom $48AUper night
- Istanbul, TurkeyApartmentAmenities such as Wi-Fi, air conditioning and a dishwasher can be found at this Galata apartment. It offers 1 bedroom and 60m² of space.4 guests / 1 bedroom / 60 m²5 people are interested in this propertyfrom $111AUper night
- Istanbul, TurkeyApartmentOffering parking and a kitchen, this 100m² apartment has 3 bedrooms. It is located in European Side and has a TV.11 guests / 3 bedrooms / 100 m²4 people are interested in this propertyfrom $127AUper night
- Istanbul, TurkeyApartmentThis City Center - Taksim apartment with 1 bedroom offers guests a babycot and a kitchen. 40m² in size, it also provides air conditioning.3 guests / 1 bedroom / 40 m²4 people are interested in this propertyfrom $48AUper night
- Istanbul, TurkeyApartmentLocated in City Center - Taksim, this 80m² apartment offers 2 bedrooms and a TV - a dishwasher and Wi-Fi are also provided.4 guests / 2 bedrooms / 80 m²10 people are interested in this propertyfrom $95AUper night
- Istanbul, TurkeyApartmentThis apartment, offering air conditioning, is located in City Center - Taksim . Also providing a babycot and a kitchen, the 1-bedroom property has 70m² of space.5 guests / 1 bedroom / 70 m²3 people are interested in this propertyfrom $79AUper night
- Istanbul, TurkeyApartmentWith 1 bedroom and a TV, this 40m² apartment is located in City Center - Taksim. Other facilities include a kitchen and air conditioning.3 guests / 1 bedroom / 40 m²4 people are interested in this propertyfrom $48AUper night
- Istanbul, TurkeyApartmentOffering a balcony and air conditioning, this 40m² apartment has 1 bedroom. It is located in City Center - Taksim and has a babycot.3 guests / 1 bedroom / 40 m²5 people are interested in this propertyfrom $63AUper night
- Istanbul, TurkeyApartmentAmenities such as a kitchen, air conditioning and Wi-Fi can be found at this European Side apartment. It offers 1 bedroom and 70m² of space.6 guests / 1 bedroom / 60 m²4 people are interested in this propertyfrom $67AUper night
Wimdu Insider´s Guide to Istanbul: Attractions and Accommodation: Find holiday apartments to rent in Istanbul
Ready to book?
Our Apartments have an average score of 9/10! See what our guests are saying:
A very nice and comfortable apartment at a perfect location in a quiet street. Close to metro, ferries and tram, restaurants, supermarket and night life. Emrecan was a perfect host, kind, generous and communicative. We have already recom...
Nice place, clean, very kind and helpful personal! The furniture is starting to get old, the place itself was nice. We enjoyed our stay and would recommend it!
Mr. Ali was very nice and helpful. The apartment was as described and very nicely furnished. Very clean flat and Mr. Ali helps in all questions concering the stay. I would recommend the apartment to anyone if you want to go to Istanbul....
Great! Metin is very nice and helped us out with our problems. The apartment we stayed was clean, good equipped and very well located. We will come again at his apartment, because of the very fair price-performance ratio. We were very c...
We are wimdu...
Wimdu is Europe's largest marketplace for private accommodation. With over 350,000 properties in more than 150 countries, you're sure to find the perfect place to stay.
Over 10 million nights booked
We are Europe's biggest portal for city and holiday apartments.
Wimdu's Triple Check
Our 3-part quality check includes visiting properties on site.
TrustpilotOur Trustpilot score isGreat (8.9/10)